Lead Paint Dangers

Lead Paint Dangers

Here’s Something Everybody Knows: Old Paint Can Be Poisonous

Lead Paint Dangers. It’s something everybody knows, sort of. Even though that is so, it’s something that is often taken for granted and can be a greater danger than you think. Lead-based paint.

Lead Paint DangersEven though lead-based paint is no longer in use, it is still a very genuine issue for both sellers and real estate agents. In 1992, the Housing and Community Development Act established a requirement that a seller had to disclose lead-based paint to the buyer. Lead was used as a paint additive for nearly 125 years before it was linked to health problems around 1978. Although it was determined in year that lead would no longer be put in paint as an additive, it took over a decade to codify the disclosure obligation for sellers of houses that were built before the 1978 law.

CLICK HERE TO SEARCH FOR NEW CONSTRUCTION HOMES IN SHERMAN OAKS 
CLICK HERE TO SEARCH FOR NEW CONSTRUCTION HOMES IN STUDIO CITY

Lead-based paint can lead to lead poisoning. Young children, especially those younger than six years, are at the greatest risk of getting poisoned by leaded paint because their growing bodies take in whatever minerals they touch. This process operates the same whether it a beneficial and healthful mineral such as calcium, or an insidious poison such as lead. Continuously high levels of lead can lead to brain damage, behavioral problems, hearing loss, and can damage the nervous system. These problems can occur in both adults and children, but children have the extra complication that their growth and development patterns can be seriously impaired.

Lead Paint Dangers can potentially be found in any home that was built prior to 1978 that has cracked, flaking, or chipping paint should be considered to be a potential hazard and the condition should be corrected immediately. If leaded paint was used around the window or door frames in the home, ordinary usage of these things in the home may be generating a surprisingly large amount of dust containing lead. This dust is potentially toxic and can be extremely difficult to dispose of. Sweeping, vacuuming, and dusting can cause the lead dust to get back into the air and it just shifts around whenever you touch it. Contaminated dust can be tracked out into the yard where it will contaminate the soil around the home. This could pose a further risk for very young children, as well as pets and plants.

Finding Out if You Have Lead Exposure

To discover whether your home has a lead-based paint problem, if you live in a home built before 1978, the most conservative course to take is to get a paint inspection done by a trained professional. A professional inspection will let you know the lead content of every painted surface and will reveal any areas of lead hazard.

Even though there are kits available that allow homeowners test on their own, an inspection by an experienced professional is recommended to find any dangerous areas that may be overlooked by someone who does not have experience.

For more info check out these helpful websites – Preservation Brief 37 and Getting The Lead Out

Article furnished by Automated Homefinder, the best Denver real estate experts of Colorado.

Leave a Reply